Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Eureka!

I have to confess that I have started watching Eureka. It's a light weight, silly show, frankly. However, it's fun. It's actually funny, especially for those that have any background in science and for those that have some inclination for SFnal things. However, while those might get my attetntion sometimes and cause me to watch now and again, what's really caught it is the fact that it reminds of me of home.

Yes.

Home.

Well, if you add in mad science above and beyond what's reality, yes, home. A home that I haven't spent more than a couple weeks in since I left in 1992 for college, but it's still home. It's a parody of LA, but damned if it doesn't just tickle the nostalgia button a bit. Truthfully, Global Dynamics' buildings are a lot cleaner than it's real life equivalent though. I just chalk that up to the common SF problem of either being bright shiny and unlived in or ubergrunged.

2 comments:

Allen Marshall said...

Eh, some of the Eureka episodes have been ok,-- but overall this is one show that has been WAY overhyped.

One thing that both my wife and I noticed is that while the town of Eureka is supposed to be like Los Alamos in theory-- one of the most glaring differences is how OPEN (non-existent security) Eureka is. They claim that it's top secret and super secure but every time they turn around someone seems to just casually stroll into a 'secure and classified' area.

Funny-- in Lost Almost actual secure areas were guarded by guns and barb-wire, accessible only via security clearances regularly reviewed by the FBI, etc...

Will Baird said...

It's been the small things that make the show for me. The nanotech run amok episode has references to a physicist that discovered fission, but refused to participate in the building of the atomic bomb. The reference was for a ball in her honor for her ideals...in a town modeled after Los Alamos. That gave me the giggles.

The security aspect is laughable. And then some. But this kind of show you check in your reality sensors at the door. LA and reality is far, far scarier...yet seems to be a bit easier to break into too.

What tickles the LA senses isn't the town itself so mucha s the personalities. A lot of them echo some rememberances over various people's parents or people I worked with there.

Is the show overhyped? Oh yeah, but it's fun. I've enjoyed it.