Friday, November 09, 2007

Kurdistan: 52nd State?

A couple of weeks ago, I was in Kirkuk, in northern Iraq, talking to a Kurdish politician. The Kurds, of course, see liberation as the essence of the American idea -- if you were Kurdish, you'd tend to like anyone who took Saddam Hussein's boot off your neck - -and this particular politician asked me how a territory becomes an American state. I realized that he was asking a very specific question -- how does Kurdistan become a state? I told him that we still haven't worked out the whole Puerto Rico thing yet, so don't expect statehood for Kurdistan anytime soon.


*BOGGLE*

No, I am not taking this seriously. Talk about really screwing with the international order though! TUrkey would, erm, love us too. I simply cannot imagine what this would do, it's so off the wall!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Puerto Rico 51 state now theres a idea!

Will Baird said...

That was what I was alluding to in a joking manner about Kurdistan. There's a 50-50 chance that statehood for PR will happen, I would say. It depends on if HR900 actually gets anywhere.